MCAT is the acronym for Medical College Admission Test, and it is a test taken by students who are willing and aspiring to go to medical colleges. It is a computer-based standard exam for students. It is basically designed to assess students' capabilities in such areas that include critical thinking, problem solving abilities, analysis and knowledge of basic and fundamental scientific principles and concepts. Every year, thousands of prospective students sit for the MCAT in order to gain admission into various medical colleges of their choices from such countries that use MCAT as requirement for provisional admission to medical colleges. MCAT consists of four sections namely; chemical and physical foundations of biological systems, biological and biochemical foundations of living systems, critical analysis, and reasoning skills, and psychological, social and biological foundations of behavior. Some of the tips and approaches for preparing for a successful MCAT exam include but not limited to;
1. As a challenging and demanding test, it is advisable and good for prospective students aspiring to enroll into and gain admission to medical colleges to prepare well before taking the test. This will enable students to test their ability in applying the scientific knowledge they have acquired to real-time scenarios.
2. It is a very important idea for prospective students to take practice tests before sitting for the MCAT exam. This is because of the length of time the MCAT test last. By taking practice tests students will get used to such longevity of sitting thereby maintaining a high mental ability, focus and endurance when writing the actual MCAT test.
3. Search for and use reasonable and genuine materials in preparing for MCAT exam. It is important for students to note that by using relevant materials from genuine sources the test will be more easier to take. Thus, materials from previous MCAT tests as well as associated bodies will be of help and great benefit to prospective students.
4. As usual, and like other tough and demanding tests that focus on certain key areas of criticality and problem solving abilities, students are advised to take the MCAT exam only when they are ready. It is not ideal for students to rush their MCAT and so it is better to take time in order to study and prepare well for the test.
5. Another important tip and reminder for students aspiring to sit for MCAT is for them to review what they have learnt in school. By reviewing all the necessary contents of scientific books as well as practical students will be able to adequately and clearly deliver what is expected of them in answering the test questions during the exam. Reviewing previous contents is an important method of brain refreshing and knowledge skill application.
6. Do not try to make the test preparation your only everyday and every time job. As important as it is to prepare well for the test, it is equally important to give time for some other schedules in your daily routine and tasks. As the saying goes “all work and no play make Jack a dull boy", do not try to regurgitate on everything or try to isolate yourself from other important things.